Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Canvasbacks from WAY Back...

Well, it's been almost two months since I last posted anything here.  Winter can be a great time to enjoy completely different settings and backgrounds for birds; no leaves on the trees sure makes sightings easier and impediments to a good shot less.  But this winter has sure cold, meaning heading out with skimpy gloves that still allow operating the camera controls a little less desirable.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the winter we've had so far - I've loved it.  Some of you will have heard me say before, "If we're going to have winter, then let's have it!"  I really do dislike the sloppy, brown, snow-melt-snow winter's we've had a lot of lately.  I'm quite fine with the bitter cold temperatures we've been having, the wood stove nicely keeping the house toasty with no impact on the non-existent heating bill. And at this point anyway, I still like shoveling.

But back it the middle of December when winter was just getting started, I headed to LaSalle Park in Burlington and finally got to see a bird which had, till that point, eluded me even though I'd see it mentioned on the Hamilton Bird list and miss it when I arrived. There were a few Canvasbacks there and a few cooperated close enough for a few pictures to add lifebird #133.

female Canvasback

Canvasback pair

male Canvasback

male Canvasback


female Canvasback

On the trail there, I also got two nice shots of a male and female House Finch.

male House Finch

female House Finch
As I mentioned earlier, I'm hoping to post pictures of our Costa Rica trip soon... a bit of editing and trying to chose the best selection of the pictures I got.  Stay posted. :)

Till then...
Keep enjoying HIS handiwork!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the annoying word verification... I've been deluged with Spam comments lately and some have been offensive.