Sunday, May 5, 2013

Post 100 + 1

I didn't realize it, but my last post was my 100th post since I started this blog.  I started the blog May 13th two years ago, and it's been a fun way to share the excitement of finding and capturing the wildlife on camera.

Where the Eastern Screech owl hopefully will be seen one day.


A couple weeks ago I went into work early, and on the way, stopped at Woodland Cemetery, hoping that going in the morning would mean I might see the Screech Owl that lives there. The opening is on the east side, and I wondered if the morning sun would be when it would appear to warm up.  But, still no owl.  The opening in the tree in the picture above is where it is seen.  A few other photographers I saw there though it was likely sitting on eggs, so my chances of seeing it right now were slim.

While there, one of the other men noticed two Wood Ducks perched in trees.  I had only just seen my first Wood Duck a month earlier, and that was in the water.  It was fun to see them in the trees.  Still looks weird to see ducks perched in trees, but they're quite at home there - they do nest in hollow tree cavities.

Wood Ducks in the trees.

female Wood Duck

male Wood Duck

At lunch, I headed to Valley Inn Road.  A Red-tailed hawk circled nice and low for a picture.


Red-tailed Hawk

I soon spotted the distinct shape of a Pied-billed Grebe in the last outlet pond of Grindstone Creek before it enters Hamilton Harbour.  I shot a number of pictures, and after it flew away, discovered I had had the mechanical zoom lock that keeps the lens from "falling out" on. Aghhh!!  Shots with 150mm instead of 500mm!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry about the annoying word verification... I've been deluged with Spam comments lately and some have been offensive.