Saturday, April 27, 2013

Backyard Birds

A quick post to try and catch up a bit here on the new lens binge (?) :).

I took a few pictures around the backyard a Sunday or two ago. There wasn't a lot of bird activity despite the slightly warmer temperatures, but I got some nice pictures of some of the Robins hunting the lawn.  We can tend to ignore and forget the beauty of some of the common birds we see often.

male American Robin

It's a fun challenge to try and get more than just typical shots, with more reason when you have a common bird as a subject.  I was trying very hard to get a shot of a Robin pulling a freshly caught worm from the ground, but it seemed like every time, they'd be facing away from me when they got one!  This was the best I could do.

American Robin swallowing a worm.


American Robin profile.

An alarm went up from the Robins and looking up I saw this Cooper's Hawk circling.  It likely lives somewhere in the area.  Holly and the kids have seen one a number of times over the years as it has dropped in at the bird feeder, hoping to snack on one of the seed eating birds.  It must have been out for a joy ride on the thermals of the new heat of spring... Cooper's Hawks are known more for surprise tactics rather than the Red-tailed Hawk like soaring.  Cooper's Hawks will easily surprise and eat a Robin for supper, so their alarm and fast move for cover was understandable.


Cooper's Hawk soaring


A pair of Mourning Doves were having a romantic nap on our deck bench after preening and courting each other with beak touching and a shuffle around in a circle.

Puffed up Mourning Dove pair.

I have a few more posts to come... a trip to Bayfront Park (hadn't been there in ages) and a combined trip to Valley Inn Road and Woodland Cemetery.  We'll see when I have time to do the post. :)

I hope everyone is enjoying the warmer spring weather.  Today was a beauty and I got to enjoy it with my three boys who are now old enough to all really help Dad with cutting down and hauling away tree for next winter's heat!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love the Cooper's hawk picture -- with the background, it almost looks like a painting!
    -Ruth.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about the annoying word verification... I've been deluged with Spam comments lately and some have been offensive.